I have a pact that I make with myself every week. I can only purchase 1 lunch.
Yep, so that means I have to come up with 4 lunches and figure out a way to get them to work each day. Guess what? It’s super easy!
Usually I pack a salad because I find it to be easy to throw together and it’s a great opportunity to up my veggie intake. Sometimes I like to take a whole wheat wrap with veggies and hummus. Or soup! Soup is great, especially on those cold afternoons.
Packing your own lunch also leads to some great health benefits:
- Calorie and portion control
- You know what’s in your lunch, no mystery ingredients!
- Less wasted time. Think about the time it takes to leave the office, order your food, and then eat it and get back.
- Money saved! The average price of a take out lunch is $7, multiply that by 5, that’s $35/week, and $1700/year. Save that money for a nice trip to Hawaii.
But to successfully pack your lunch each day you need the proper containers to get it to work. You need something leak-proof (who likes a purse that smells like garlic hummus?), something microwaveable for reheating leftovers or soups, and something that will last through numerous washes and reheats.
I said yes to Oxo because it is a company that I trust. I own multiple products from them (can opener, whisk etc) and each product has lasted with minimal wear.
With one large container that holds over 6 cups and four mini ones, I knew that the assortment would be perfect for lunches.
And just like my criteria above, they are leak proof and durable! Win win! So I gave them a test drive this week to see how they worked.
I took some of my leftover Mexi-Cali Pizza (recipe coming soon!), veggies, and of course some hummus. Not only did the containers hold up but the food stayed fresh and nothing leaked, not even the garlic smell!
Even if you’re not a huge lunch packer, Oxo Good Grips are great for everyday storage and they can be used in the freezer to keep leftovers.
But, Oxo didn’t want me to be the only one to try out the containers!
They sent me two sets!!! One for me, and one for one of my readers!
So let’s start the giveaway process
Ways to enter:
Mandatory Entry (must do this to enter):
- Like “Eat on the Run” on Facebook and post this giveaway on your Facebook page (making sure to reference Eat on the Run by putting @EatontheRun in the post)
Extra Entries (for extra chances to win):
- Comment on this post with your favorite packed lunch
- Tweet this giveaway mentioning @irunlikeagurl
BONUS! For the person who wins, I’ll be sending three of my favorite packed lunch recipes, with each recipe being under 400 calories.
Giveaway runs until April 27th, 2012 at 9pm. Winner will be chosen April 28th, 2012.